Saturday, August 7, 2010

Choosing a Monologue Part 1 -Active vs. Memory

Choosing a Monologue Part 1

If you don’t have one already now is the time to get a three ring binder. Start Building Your Audition Book.

The audition determines the type of monologue and the length. Read the requirements and follow them! If it says prepare a 2 minute monologue don’t walk in with a 2 minute and 15 second monologue. If they ask for comic piece don’t walk in with a dramatic one. If they ask for a Modern piece don’t bring in Shakespeare. But...."Let's start at the very beginning..."

I give examples of published work below. I have not included the entire text but I have provided enough information for you to find the text if you so desire.

Find an Active Monologue – this means a monologue that happens in the now not a Memory Monologue. A Memory Monologue (or M&M) is when you are telling a story, something that happened in the past.

Examples:

An M&M might start something like this:

When I was a little girl I went into the abandoned coal mine. At first everything was fine but then I went deeper and there was a big bang. Everything came tumbling down…

Below is a couple of lines from The play “Lardo Weeping” by Terry Galloway

Dinah has a monologue that begins:

“There was only one time in my life…. –and ends- …..just not quite ruthless.

This is an M&M

An Active Monologue (AM) might start something like this:

I don’t understand you. I give and I give but you know what, I’m through giving. Get out. Right now! Go into the bedroom, pack your bags and get out! No – don’t talk. You know why? Because I’m through listening!

Below is a couple of lines from The play “Four Corners” by Wendkos and Bond

The character Jimmy has a monologue that begins:

Look, you know how dogs begin to look like their owners….. -and ends - ….couldn’t I turn into her?

This is an AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment